gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
1009 Posts in 220 Topics by 55 Members - Latest Member: BrianUndes August 19, 2017, 01:37:44 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Shop | Search | Calendar | Downloads | Facebook | Login | Register | Server Status | gfx
gfx
The Worlds of Rhun  |  Important Information  |  News & Information  |  Migrating to new Server Machine
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Migrating to new Server Machine  (Read 2339 times)

Baaleos

Migrating to new Server Machine
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:12:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • Worlds of Rhun is migrating to a more powerful server machine, which coincidentally happens to be cheaper.
    The new IP Address will be: 52.0.226.177
    But the domain name: Asmodei.net will still function for direct connect also

We will be trying this new hardware out for the next while, and monitoring the servers performance.
    Please let me know if you experience increased lag as we can always go back to the old hardware

Some features in Rhun may need to be scripted to cope with the new IP Address.
    Please post here if you find any such occurences.
    « Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:05:13 PM by Baaleos »

Magicbridge

Re: Migrating to new Server Machine
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • I can't get on the ser er at the moment as my monitor on my computer has died...but I do regularly check the server status.  I have noticed that since the server migrated, it has reset at least 3 times.  I don't know if you have been resetting it or if it is having stability issues.
    I'm not crazy...I'm completely insane!!!

Baaleos

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 04:13:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've been experimenting with some new things for the server- just some stuff to improve performance.
    Eg: Rifts won't spawn while server is empty, and AI will be reduced until someone logs in.

The server infrastructure the module is hosted on will award me 'CPU' credits when the server is idle - eg: less than 20% usage.
    If the CPU usage goes above that- then the credits will drain per the minute giving increased CPU power for the duration of the increased utilisation.
    When players log off - the server will start to build the credits up again.
    CPU credits being drained won't be bad for players, but it means during the hours when the server isn't used, it can work to build them up for the next players to come in. Giving them faster and more performant gameplay.

Over the last day- I've been profiling RHUN, to find areas that needed optimised etc:
    Surprisingly - a lot of CPU was being drained by 5 miners in Glacial Mines- they were all means to be mining Their own rocks, somehow got bugged and gathered around the same rock, to smash it.
    Caused path finding issues - resulting in more CPU usage.
    For the moment- I have just removed them, so we can see the performance difference without them.

The attachment shows RHUN compared to two other Modules I host for other people.
    I am trying to keep the idle CPU usage below 20,
    As you can see- the other two servers are around 50 - as such, they don't accrue a bank of CPU credits,  they effectively drain them during the idle time, as they make them.

Azul

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've been a member/player on this server longer than most people know. I played on early incarnations back when Baal set it up to do random events that gifted players with one of a kind items...sometimes very powerful items. I remember some of the earliest iterations of Stargates. Baal has a depth and reach unmatched by any other builder/designer/server provider. He has done things I never knew were possible with NWN1.

I'm sorry that the player base has fallen off/drifted away. My world is going to be greatly diminished if I log on to NWN Multi-Player one day and find Worlds of Rhun  gone forever.

I liked the world Baal was creating a few years back...Low magic type worlds are a big draw to me nowadays. Low Magic worlds forces one to REALLY learn/know ones character class/classes. You don't have inflated weapons/items to really rely on. Don't get me wrong, I love MANY of the incantations/rituals that WOR has,...but they should be much harder to be able to access. Am I making any sense here?

I hope Tony and Mary will come back to WOR. It will never be the same without them.

Well, enough rambling for one afternoon. Be well all.

-Garen

Baaleos

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:36:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • Mary and tony and I are enjoying Final Fantasy XIV online at the moment,
    But we keep Worlds of Rhun running just on the off chance we come back.
    I was hoping to start a new Server project for nwn- but lack of people to work with kinda sucks the enthusiasm out of it.

Azul

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:43:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • Met a new player on WOR today, he played a few years earlier level 40 Vamp but not of one of the Bloodlines so it seems. We're going to try to kill that Pit Boss this weekend. Show up and give us some God/Goddess aid :)

-Azul

Azul

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • I miss my Margaret Mary...LdyNBlak from AOL NWN and UO. Our hands never touched, our eyes never met, our lips never kissed...but our hearts danced.

Magicbridge

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 01:24:57 AM »
  • Publish
  • While Tony and I do miss playing Rhun, things have been crazy.  As Baal told you, we are now playing Final Fantasy XIV.  I also started back to school this past January to pursue my lifelong dream of being a nurse.  It's been crazy here. (Well, at least I have been crazy! ;) )  Also, the monitor on t e old laptop I played NWN on crapped out.  I would have to gain access to a monitor at least for a few minutes to access my CD key and add it to this machine.  I may be out of commission for a while in NWN as a result.  I hope to get back in on occasion, just to visit the old stomping grounds if nothing else.  If I am nothing else, I am a sentimental fool (heavy on the mental part).  I will never be able to just let Rhun go.  Give me some time and I will figure out how to get back in somehow.  In the meantime, join us IN Final Fantasy!  We are having a blast.  It's like NWN...on steroids.
    I'm not crazy...I'm completely insane!!!

Azul

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 12:59:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have to say "Zed" is fairly brave. He showed up when I asked him to...i wanted to meet him personally. Perhaps the fact that he is a level 40 Vamp gives him a sense of security. If he is not of one of the Bloodlines, he may fall to a Drow dagger in the back.

" Only a complete fool would trust a Drow warrior at his back."

it is the Drow way.

-Azul

Azul

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 03:07:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • Azul is what he is. I never EVER wanted him to be nice.

-Azul

Byakuya7

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • New server machine must not work corectly becouse server have freeze lag sometimes is 5sec but can lag for 1min.
    Restart server (this automaticly after 72h online) not repair it im write to you priv but you not reply then im write here meybe you can do anything with this.

Oh and Gatherables (Minerals and Herbs) not work in home and incantation cant click for read what must write in this.

http://asmodei.net/ in this page cant login and enter page "RENT A WORLD"
    « Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:01:15 PM by Byakuya7 »

The Worlds of Rhun  |  Important Information  |  News & Information  |  Migrating to new Server Machine

Facebook Comments

gfxgfx
    gfx gfx