gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
1078 Posts in 232 Topics by 57 Members - Latest Member: UnitiveRoom8 January 17, 2018, 02:45:56 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Shop | Search | Calendar | Downloads | Login | Register | Server Status | Magic | Bloodlines | gfx
gfx
The Worlds of Rhun  |  Technical Assistance  |  Worlds of Rhun Help  |  Bugs & Performance
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bugs & Performance  (Read 762 times)

birdman076

Bugs & Performance
« on: May 23, 2014, 02:41:23 AM »
Baal,

Sorry I didn't post last night, got side tracked on computer repairs. In any event, here is the lag I am getting and maybe others are not but I haven't had issues on other servers and playing other games.

Server lags completely out for me about every 1-3 minutes. I will get a complete pause of about 5-10 seconds and then everything "Catches up". Since this has been happening I have not gone into "Challenging" areas as the penalty for death would have me broke.

Other bugs or issues that need to be looked into:

Original Rhun had one house (I want to say house 6 I know its one of the lesser houses) which the drow were equipped with weapons beyond their level. To the player it looks as if this is a "Monk" house only they don't use monk abilities and are real push overs. I fixed this in my version by replacing the weapons with level appropriate.

I have multiple quests in my journal but do not have the quest items (They are stripped on death), it would be nice if the journal cleared itself as well as its rather annoying not knowing if something new has populated or its the same old quests.

The wolf pack in the center of the Desert of Taer is set to a very low CR, so low that a level 30+ spawns max (8 I believe) and they are ridiculously overpowered (kill you in 1 round). I get that its more challenging but with the low server population and being forced to run stuff solo it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get owned in the desert by effortless "trash" mobs while trying to complete a major questline.

There were a few other small bugs but they slip my mind atm.

Great server, loving it thus far just wish I had more time to play.

Baaleos

Re: Bugs & Performance
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »
Server lags completely out for me about every 1-3 minutes. I will get a complete pause of about 5-10 seconds and then everything "Catches up". Since this has been happening I have not gone into "Challenging" areas as the penalty for death would have me broke.

I will investigate this at the weekend.
I havent noticed any lag when I am on: Is this recent, or was this a few days ago?
I had  a script acting as a restocker for the magic shop, which was replenishing it with 50 candles each time it ran (every hour or so)
I forgot to cap it at say 50 candles : so it ended up with hundreds of candles, which may have been causing the typical PW Shop lag issue.

I have since capped the restock script to 25 candles and books each.

So far, since this change made mid week - I havent seen any lag myself.

Original Rhun had one house (I want to say house 6 I know its one of the lesser houses) which the drow were equipped with weapons beyond their level. To the player it looks as if this is a "Monk" house only they don't use monk abilities and are real push overs. I fixed this in my version by replacing the weapons with level appropriate.

It is actually my plan to revamp the Drow a little bit.
If you visit Elidor, you can see the Pain Golem wandering around :  In Worlds of Rhun, I have tried to lay a bit of intrigue by insinuating that the Drow invasion has been spurred on by the Machinations of  the Lord of Pain (Baaleos):
In light of this, and in light of the fact that the randomly generated loot that can fall can be somewhat GODLIKE.

I do think the Drow in the houses need a bit of a revamp - to increase difficulty, but also streamline the story.
Maybe even some Pain Golem guards, or maybe some sort of Stronger scripted boss battle in the houses.

I have multiple quests in my journal but do not have the quest items (They are stripped on death), it would be nice if the journal cleared itself as well as its rather annoying not knowing if something new has populated or its the same old quests.

The problem is that when the items are lost, there is no variable on them to indicate what journal entry they are mapped to, or what stage it is mapped to.
So it wouldnt be easy to identify which journal entry to remove specifically.
I will investigate ways of fixing this, but its going to be a backlog item - so when more important issues are resolved - then I can work on this.

The wolf pack in the center of the Desert of Taer is set to a very low CR, so low that a level 30+ spawns max (8 I believe) and they are ridiculously overpowered (kill you in 1 round). I get that its more challenging but with the low server population and being forced to run stuff solo it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get owned in the desert by effortless "trash" mobs while trying to complete a major questline.

I will investigate ways of making it similar difficulty, but less overpowering all round.
Perhaps some sort of Pack Mentality.
Eg:
1 Pack Leader (uber)
6 Pack Members
The more of them alive, the stronger they are.

That would mean you need to kill one or more of them fast, to reduce the strength of the pack.
Meaning the more you kill, the easier they are to kill?
Not forgetting that magic is available to help.

Have you tried using the Timestop watch? or maybe tried a ritual or spell?
Inflamagra's Cage - if you have good concentration, would be ideal.
It immobilizes them, and damages them at the same time.
But requires a bit of setup.  (Lay a trap)

The way that spell works is that you need to lay 5 Candles  in a circle or pentagram shape.
Then do ^ritual    to engage ritual mode.
Then speak the words

Inferorum
I summon ye
come now contain
those who would wish me
harm

If your circle is laid out good, then a circle should draw just within the circles radius.
As long as you stay within the circle, every 2 seconds or so, enemies will receive fire damage, but also be immobilized.

You also need to maintain concentration every 2 seconds though

http://nwn.azmodan.net/magic/ritual.php?rit=Cage%20of%20Flamagra

birdman076

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 12:06:58 PM »
The lag was very bad the night before last, its been getting worse recently. When I first started on the server it was the occasional crash (ie; server lock up) and as I explained it would disappear for hours and sometimes days from the Neverlauncher listing. I have since been using history in NWN to connect and/or direct connect and the crashing is gone. There was occasional lag then as well but it would be more "expected" meaning a large spawn, area transition into a known "laggy area" (Elidor), etc which were compounded at times I believe by the script you adjusted for item replenishment (it may have been causing crashes as well as there is a finite amount of items that can be placed in stores and containers too I found out by adding items to the existing loot chests, if memory servers its 255 or 300 ish and then the game crashes). 

The pain golem was another point of contention as I do not like to spawn and run, its a bit overpowered for my typical level 10 that goes Drow hunting. My series of areas for quick level up are: Orc Camp > Giant Cave > Elidor > Elidor Mines > Underdark. I typically hit the Underdark by level 10. Of course I also knock out the Elidor quest in the process and get the reward/quest started, but seeing an impossible nasty by the door to the mayor's house steered me away until after I capped. Perhaps a lesser Pain Golem or even a damaged Pain Golem that is more level appropriate?

As far as the Drow, yes revamping was needed even on a "stock" rhun as it was severely one sided with Drow not being allowed in Etum (without the Magistrate Stepping in) and everyone allowed to kill the Drow (including merchants) and really screwing drow players. I had come up with a "Drow Dungeon" concept that was essentially a trap that checked for non-drow players and dumped them where they can kill drow but get to the merchants so easily. I also scripted the drow merchants to respawn after 10 minutes. In addition if you have no altered the Matrons they will be "push overs" for my build as I will be able to dev crit them within 60 seconds or so. The original matrons have saves so high they went past the 255 mark and start the counter over (their class/racial/gear bonuses make it loop back around and start over). I lower their saves to 65-70 on a "stock" rhun, with yours modified to take ability limits off its going to be much higher. In addition I also scripted the matron doors to respawn in 10 minutes, in "stock" rhun once a matron run was done everyone else could and would pile on an spam them for the quest and/or gear.

The quest items are stripped in the onDeath script, it wouldn't be terrible to clear journal entries there as well.

I haven't played around with the ritual system yet and I have not found the timestop watch. I should have followed up with "now that I know its a nasty spawn I can plan better for it". I was low 30s when I went through there, I would imagine now I have better gear and such its not a big deal. But max spawn is a bit nasty for low 30s. I like the pack mentality concept.

If you need any help let me know, I am not around as much as I would like but I can be of some assistance.

Baaleos

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 02:22:02 PM »
If you are serious about helping out - from a scripting or building point of view. I wouldnt turn away help.

I do however operate on the rule of not giving a copy of the module to anyone - I've done that in the past, and then all of a sudden the module pops up on another server, with someone else claiming they built it all, and that mine is a rip off.
I instead make it possible for people to work on the bits they want to work on, and then we merge.

I also use nwnx_resman - which allows for live updates to be made to the server, in such a way that you can update scripts, areas and so on during a live server session - without needing a reboot.
Its handy for tinkering with scripts, cutscenes, bosses, battles etc

I've had this desire to get some people on staff, and let them manage and build their own worlds within worlds of rhun.
They could upload new areas, scripts and such, and be responsible for the growth of their own corner of rhun.

birdman076

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 01:25:48 AM »
As I said, I have limited time but wouldn't mind helping out where I can. I've used nwnx_resman in the past, its been a while and it was a very limited experience. Do you use a repository for file transfer? Just shoot me a pm and we can work out the details. Some of the work i've done on my Rhun

Village of Elidor:

Stralten's Castle Grounds:

Orc Starting Area:

Goblin Starting Area:

Lorde Vaude's Trust (Bank):

Lizardfolk Starting Area:

Quest Area with Gnomish Amenities:

Ancient City of Taer:

Sea Elf Starting Area:

The Worlds of Rhun  |  Technical Assistance  |  Worlds of Rhun Help  |  Bugs & Performance

gfxgfx
gfx gfx