gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
1009 Posts in 220 Topics by 53 Members - Latest Member: malyveta March 24, 2017, 02:11:13 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Shop | Search | Calendar | Downloads | Facebook | Login | Register | Server Status | gfx
gfx
The Worlds of Rhun  |  Technical Assistance  |  Rhun Resource Downloader Application  |  Downloader can't connect?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Downloader can't connect?  (Read 1997 times)

flashwitt

Downloader can't connect?
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
I got the downloader, but when I run it, it checks for it's own update, then when I tell it to start, it fails to connect repeatedly. Is there some way to access the files manually, or something I can do to make the DL'er connect better?
Your help is appreciated. :)

Baaleos

Re: Downloader can't connect?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:23:24 AM »
Are you sure your nwn is installed correctly?
One of the common errors that can cause this issue is when people copy nwn to another install of windows without installing it, they just drag the nwn folder over.
A consequence of this is that they do not get the nwn registry settings installed.
If this is the case, you can fix It by manually creating the location /path registry entries in your registry.

Regedit
--> local machine--> software--> bioware--> nwn
If there isn't a key/keys for path and location , create a string for both, and put the folder path to your nwn directory in there.

Let me know if this helps

flashwitt

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:19:22 AM »
You're absolutely correct- I did in fact squeel with glee to find that dropping my NWN onto the new comp, it ran without issues without having to muck about with a full reinstall, which, since my discs are very early release, takes for EVER.

But nope. I did as you suggested and still get this:

Attempting to create port forwarding rule for ports:20016
No Updates Available for Rhun Downloader
4 peers found!!
Downloading File List
Possible Connection issues - retrying in 30 secs.

Is the download enormous? Is there some reason not to make the files available for manual DL? I've honestly never been thrilled with the whole auto-DL process, as I usually prefer to be in complete control of what I add to my game folders. *lol*  Call me a control freak. I won't deny it.

Baaleos

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
My Mistake - the registry entry you need is as follows
Local Machine -> Software -> Bioware -> NWN -> Neverwinter
Create a REG_SZ (String) entry called Location and Path, and then paste the path to your nwn directory in there.

Then restart the downloader, it should get further now.

flashwitt

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 12:35:21 AM »
Thanks for sticking with me. I tried the creating the string you recommend, but still getting the fail. :(

Magicbridge

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 02:17:51 AM »
Speaking of the downloader...maybe its a windows 8 thing on tony's computer...but tony is having a fit with the downloader.  When he comes out of the game he has to reconnect the downloader...if he goes in to the game multiple times he will have as many downloader icons on his taskbar nest to the clock...and only one of them is able to take him into the game...the others do not work.  Also when he cranks up his computer he gets a message saying that the downloader needs to update.  Most of the time there are no updates.  But today he got 2 updates that Simon and I did not get.  I dont know what version of windows Simon has for the record.  Hope you have a great day.
I'm not crazy...I'm completely insane!!!

Baaleos

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 01:08:35 PM »
Hi Flashwit - are you on 64bit?

if so - there is a slight difference with the registry path.

Look for the Wow6432Node folder within the Local Machine --> Software
Then create the Bioware --> NWN --> Neverwinter  within that node, and then add the Path / Location keys.

The only other possible issue would be firewalls  - you definitely granted access to the program in the firewall?
I will try to make some modifications to the program, so it will check the local directory first, before looking in registry.
Registry reading was meant to make it easier to use, eg: will work no matter where you put the program on your computer, but like me, and like the server, you don't have a conventional install, NWN does work, if you drag and drop the folder all over the place, so the registry entry is not a necessity.

In the mean time, try those registry entries, and see if that solves it.

@ Mary: Why does he end up getting multiple icons?
He would only get multiple icons, if he opens the downloader multiple times.
If he opens it, leaves it running, and does not exit it with the x icon, it should remain open, and available to use.

Maybe we can organize a skype share session so he can show me what he means?

Magicbridge

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
Tony says its nothing he wants to bother you with but you are welcome in his computer any time you want.  I posted it to give you a heads up.  I don't know if it's a Windows 8 issue...(gods I hate that program) or what.  I don't have that problem...and when he starts his computer up he is always alerted that a new update on the downloader is available, which is hardly ever the case.  Yesterday he got 2 updates that Simon and I did not get.
I'm not crazy...I'm completely insane!!!

Baaleos

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 06:24:22 PM »
Right click on the downloader program, and then look at its properties, look for the file version in the properties screen, and post back to me.

Baaleos

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »
@Flash - I have updated the downloader- when you start it, it should ask if its ok to download an update.
Click yes, then let it restart.

This version is updated to allow you to move it to the nwn directory, and it wont need to read the registry.
Just close RhunDownloader, then copy and paste it in the NWN Directory (same directory where nwmain.exe is)

When you start it up, it should no longer have issues finding the NWN Directory.

I recommend everyone downloads the latest downloader from the forum, as I have updated a slight design flaw with it. This change will impact the auto update feature built into the application (for updating the downloader itself). Turns out having the Rhun HUB Server running on the same port number as the Downloader itself is not Kocher. So now they run on different ports. Meaning that the Older Versions of the Downloader may not be able to connect to the central Hub.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:43:55 PM by Baaleos »

The Worlds of Rhun  |  Technical Assistance  |  Rhun Resource Downloader Application  |  Downloader can't connect?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx