gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
1126 Posts in 241 Topics by 59 Members - Latest Member: Narwek February 24, 2018, 02:07:04 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Shop | Search | Calendar | Downloads | Login | Register | Server Status | Magic | Bloodlines | gfx
gfx
The Worlds of Rhun  |  Important Information  |  News & Information  |  Old News  |  May be Hope!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: May be Hope!!  (Read 1730 times)

Baaleos

May be Hope!!
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »
Ok guys,
As you are aware, there have been a few bugs issues with Worlds of Rhun since the requirement came about that resulted in the move to Linux.

1. Server Host was going bust - so they couldn't offer hosting on the 2003 server they were providing.

2. I tried to host on Amazon Servers (Windows 2008) this is where I was seeing continuous crashes - infact, the server would stay up for a few seconds, before crashing.
        (Seems the crash was something to do with one of the plugins we use for the languages system: nwnx_chat.dll)
    Rumor has it that the crash was caused by some bad-dodgy code that worked on older versions of windows, but didn't adhere to some of the memory management principals of later versions of windows. Which causes a big ol crash.

3. Because of that crash - I tried moving to a Linux box:  Linux is completely different than windows, and all the plugins that we used for area generation, ability score bonuses, feat gains etc needed to be replaced with Linux equivelants.
Unfortunately, there seemed to be a bug in the areas plugin on Linux - which was not present on windows.
This bug manifests in 2 ways :  You can go through an area transition in the physical realm, and end up on spectral or fae realm.
Or you can just enter the fae or spectral realm, and you might end up crashing the server:  this has been mitigated, by making the server auto-reboot on crash, but its not a resolution.

Today I have received some information that a new version of nwnx chat for windows has been released, that may resolve the issues we were seeing on the windows platform.
I hope to have this tested out soon (next few days)
If it goes to plan - we will be able to revert to a version of the server from before the Linux Move.
It will have all the scripts, and everything preserved from the last working version of the windows server.

If this goes to plan, it will resolve the Spectral Realm, Fae Realm bugs we have been seeing.

If it does not go to plan however, I will be considering closing the server, or at least scaling it back/not supporting it anymore.
I will then be considering making a Low-Medium Magic Game Universe, set in mid-modern era.

Magicbridge

Re: May be Hope!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
*fingers crossed*  if anyone can do it...it would be you Evil Genius!  Tony had a thought...Cowboys and Vampires! :P
I'm not crazy...I'm completely insane!!!

Baaleos

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:59:53 PM »
Can someone try

54.221.235.249:5222

And let me know how stable it is.

This is running on a windows instance.

Note - the server vault is from a few weeks ago.

Please test out God Subrace, Fae, Vampire, Spectral and Fae Realms.

Thanks.

If someone can try typing  !help  or  !listlanguages into the chat bar and see if it returns anything - that would be useful.

myx79

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »
Hi all:

I have tested Fae and seems works nice. Tested with a vampire toon and grouped, server automatically sends a message saying you are both enemies and if both are close enought and vampire fails saves, starts fighting again fae. If not grouped you have to change faction from friendly to enemies manually.

I have tried also a God creation and when i was buying at forum, server crashed.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:04:21 PM by myx79 »

myx79

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:09:46 PM »
Hi:

Servep up again and running. I have used the token for God subrace and when i was logging. server crashed again?

myx79

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »
Hi:

Served up again. I am trying a vampire toon. It seems working nice. Will log off and try again God subrace to see if server crashed or not.

Log on with God and intro of God starts...ends... and seems working. Will see if missionaries works. It seems working.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:35:28 PM by myx79 »

Proont

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
I tried !help and it brought up all the commands.  I didn't check languages though.

The Worlds of Rhun  |  Important Information  |  News & Information  |  Old News  |  May be Hope!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx